GOVERNOR'S RUSSIAN STUDY ACADEMY
The Governorís Russian Study Academy provides top high school students an opportunity to participate in a unique academic summer experience outside the regular school curriculum. The selected students spend nearly three weeks at James Madison University in classes providing formal instruction in the Russian language and introduction to Russian history, literature and culture. Art, dance, music, crafts, sports, creative projects, field trips, food preparation and other choices complete the Academy's activities. In the relaxed atmosphere in which the Russian culture becomes more familiar, students and the faculty establish a rapport that makes the Academy a memorable, broadening experience.
Gatherings at the St.John the Baptist Cathedral, Washington D.C.
Eligibility to attend requires the following qualifications:
- Students have an excellent academic record and receive recommendation from their schools
- Students are rising juniors or seniors who will return to school the following year
- Students have studied a foreign language a minimum of two years and have the recommendation of a foreign language teacher.
- Students have not attended another summer Governorís Academy of any type
- Students were eligible to attend public school in Virginia tuition-free during year preceding the summer appointment to the Academy.
The selection process for appointment requires the following:
- Students submit an essay for competitive consideration
- Students receive a nomination from their school by an appropriate faculty member
- Each school nominate one student for the Academy
- Nominations are sent to the Virginia Department of Education to be reviewed by a state- appointed committee that will select the Academy participants.